[LIPS] Change to one vote per account

hirish hirish at protonmail.com
Thu Feb 7 07:51:53 EST 2019

Hello,

Delegate hirish here. I would like jump in with my considerations about this proposal.

First of all we need to set the goals Lisk wants to reach. I assume the goals are:
- Get rid of groups
- Increase competition between delegates
- Still maintain secure the network
- Makes community happy with rewards (?)

I'm currently a forging delegate. I'm a developer investing his time on Lisk. I'm an entrepreneur who has an idea to be implemented on Lisk (www.sapiensproject.io). The majority of community members could read my words as biased, but I will try to analyze this proposal from all point of views: delegates, developers and promoters, community members interested in shares. This because I was and I am all of them.

Before starting to analyze the future scenario, I would like to spend some words about greediness and high incentives. In simple words, greediness and high incentives is what is making bitcoin, and the crypto-world in general, secure. I understand it is very unpopular, but that's how it works. High rewards push people to do great things.

As a delegate point of view, we already know what will happen thanks to other DPOS projects that have already implemented this solution. It will end up with delegates with an average share percentage of 90+%. This means very low incentives. Low financial incentives means also low carefulness to the secure aspect of the network. It's a natural reaction of human kind.

As a developer and promoter, since there are low incentives, there will be also low level of participation in the project. I honestly think I would never have coded all the Ledger Integration and all the other project I did with low incentives. And the reasons is simple: I can make more money by doing something else (see? greediness push people to do *also* great things!). The same conclusion could be made for a promoter point of view. We had tons of Lisk Meetups around the world. I believe this will disappear. Projects like Lisk Utrecht Center and Elite Center would not have been possible without a proper amount of funds.

As a community member interested in shares, this proposal seems like heaven. But I'm not sure they're going to get more shares. Since you have only 1 vote, the 90% share acts like an upper-bound-hard-cap on how much you can get from vote sharing. Currently you get in average 25% from *every* delegate. It is also true that with "1 vote per account" you will share the vote with a lot less people. But I'm not sure this will be enough to get more. Automatic Bot that does switch of votes in favor of low-ranked high-shares delegates will popup making delegate ranks very unstable. This will create network instabilities if delegates are not ready. I'm quite sure (but it needs more calculations) that voters will get less rewards in average compared to the current solution if they do not act on weekly basis on their vote.

I will try to summarize pros and cons of this solution.

PROS
- New delegates will join the game
- Large groups will lose power, but probably won't disappear
- More competition for active delegate slots, but (CONS) based mostly on share percentage and not on great contributions.

CONS
- Voters will get less rewards if they do no switch vote on regular basis
- It could cause network instabilities
- Low incentives to keep secure the network
- Low incentives to contribute to Lisk
- It is not a definitive solution
- Projects like sidechains and Lisk centers and meetups won’t be funded anymore since financial incentives are low.
- Low financial incentives it means also becoming less attractive to developers.

Conclusion
In my honest opinion as an investor in this project, this solution cannot be interpreted as a definitive one because it simply shift the current problems to some different (and more delicate/critical) ones and doesn’t fit all the goals behind this change.

I would like to see Lisk as a vanguard in the DPOS field by finding a proper and original solution, and not a “temporary patch” that solve some problems, but creates new and more monsters.
And these monsters are already out there.

Best,

hirish