[LIPS] Change to one vote per account

Jan Hackfeld jan.hackfeld at lightcurve.io
Wed Feb 6 08:45:40 EST 2019

Hi cc001,

thank you very much for your input.

Before addressing your concerns, let me emphasize that the whole LIP
process is designed to make the whole evolution of Lisk transparent and
include the expertise and knowledge of the community. So it would be
great to have several sound, well-reasoned proposals for a new voting
system in order to carefully weigh the arguments and choose the best
solution (maybe combining different proposals).

Regarding your reasoning below:
1) I agree that if people ONLY vote based on maximal gain (shared
rewards), then the delegates with the highest percentage of shared
rewards will get into the top 101 slots. However, if people also value
other factors (expertise in running a node, community involvement,...),
then these factors matter and a person with a good community
involvement, for instance, has a realistic chance of becoming a delegate
(after convincing account holders with a balance of around 500,000 LSK,
see LIP for details). Currently, this is not really possible. Overall,
it will probably be a mix of both (people voting selfish and people
considering involvement/other factors) and the community will determine
in which direction the system moves.

2) The LIP already discusses the security implications of the proposed
change of the voting system in detail and makes it clear that only a
large number of malicious delegates would pose a serious threat.
Furthermore, we have several other proposals on the roadmap that will
substantially increase the security guarantees:

- The objective 'Improve blocks verification' proposes to add Byzantine
fault tolerance to the protocol. This means that the protocol will
tolerate malicious/Byzantine delegate up to a certain threshold.
- The objective 'Punish protocol violations by delegates' will add a
mechanism to the protocol that punishes a delegate if it can be proven
on the blockchain undoubtfully that the delegate acted maliciously. We
haven't finalized the research and specifications, but think of a 10,000
LSK security deposit (value is to be decided) that a delegate loses if
they do something malicious.

3) I also don't clearly see that sharing a high percentage of rewards is
a problem. Most delegates have and most likely will have a considerable
amount of Lisk (it could be discussed if this should be enforced by the
protocol). Take for example a delegate that shares 100 % of the rewards
(extreme case, likely it will be less), but also owns 50,000 LSK (and
votes for themself). According to the estimates in the LIP, votes by
additional 450,000 LSK would be approximately sufficient to secure an
active delegate slot. In this case, 10 % of the rewards go to the
delegate (10 % of the vote weight is from the delegate itself), 90 % to
all other votes. Everybody would be interested to keep productivity high
as otherwise they lose money. Moreover, delegates can be voted out of
the 101 much easier if the productivity is low (much less people have to
change their votes).

I am happy to discuss more!
Cheers,
Jan