[LIPS] Remove pre-hashing for block and transaction signatures

Andreas Kendziorra andreas.kendziorra at lightcurve.io
Thu Nov 22 05:35:03 EST 2018

Dear Lisk community,

With this email I want to kickstart the discussion and gather your
feedback regarding the LIP "Remove pre-hashing for block and transaction
signatures". You can find a short summary of the LIP and link to the
LIPS repository below.

Abstract

This LIP proposes to remove the hash-then-sign paradigm for block and
transaction signatures in the Lisk protocol. That means, block or
transaction data should be signed instead of the hash digest of block or
transaction data. We elaborate on why this paradigm is typically used,
and why it provides more disadvantages than advantages in the Lisk
protocol, where Ed25519-SHA-512 is used.

https://github.com/LiskHQ/lips/blob/master/proposals/lip-0008.md

--
Andreas Kendziorra
Cryptographer, Lightcurve