[LIPS] Use SHA3-256 hash of block header as blockID

Andreas Kendziorra andreas.kendziorra at lightcurve.io
Tue Dec 18 05:40:34 EST 2018

Dear Lisk community,

With this email, I want to kickoff the discussion and gather your
feedback regarding the objective "Replace block ID system" on the
roadmap. We propose to use the SHA3-256 hash of the block header as the
blockID of a block. You can find a short summary of the LIP below and
the full proposal in the attachment.

Abstract

This LIP proposes to take the SHA3-256 hash of the block header as the
blockID of a block. This implies an increase of the blockID length and
the usage of a different hash function. The motivation of the proposal
is to increase the security of the Lisk blockchain.

Best regards
Andreas

--
Andreas Kendziorra